Monday, October 26, 2009

Apple addiction

My name is Wendy and I am addicted to apple picking. I don't know what it is, but I just love it. I love doing it. I love the kid's faces while they are picking and eating the apples. I love the fall air smell. I love that we have apples into the spring that we picked, cheaply, which have less chemicals than store bought and aren't shipping from another country. I love making applesauce, apple crisp, sweet potatoes and apples and my newest find - apple oatmeal bread! Love it all. For the experience, for the memories.

So, can you guess what we did Saturday? Yep. Apple picking. Fuji apple picking to be specific. Y.U.M.M.Y.!
Steve climbing the tree since the pickins' were getting slim.
My happy apple eating boys in the wind.

Good thing we shot these photos before we went to the farmer's tent where all three dashed all over the crowded tent (DESPITE their agreement in the car with us NOT to do such things) making us look like, as Steve said, "Walmart parents" (um...no offense) as we ran after them and uttered statements like: 'for the fiftieth time, stop touching the freaking glass jars for crying out loud!' 'sweetheart, daddy told you to not touch those a few hundred times now, can you please stop touching them?' and 'just what about the two of you climbing up on the 5 foot tall mound of pumpkins and gourds ON a CART seemed like a good idea to you?' 'Wow, I admire your climbing skills and surely that took balance and agility, but it's really not a good idea. Please hop down now.', and 'No! Stop! Get that onion... ohhhhh... so how did that work out for you? Taste good?' 'Oh pumpkin, really eating an onion is not the best idea. Let me get you something to drink.' and etc (I'm sure you get the picture).

Oh, and the incident where Oliver bashed his head into the floor because when we finally got up to the register (there was a very long line), the lady insisted that I show her my driver's license for my $10 credit card purchase.* It was in the car, of course. Therefore I had to run to my car to get it, which made the boys upset (read: crying dramatically), and by 'the boys' I mean all four of them. It was at that moment that Oliver, our drama queen...er... king, bashed his head in to the floor. Come to think of it, maybe it was at that moment that Steve made the Walmart comment... of course train wreck could have also summed it up.

*You know, I get the wanting to be safe and see my ID and I am glad they do that, but it was only $10 freaking dollars (one pumpkin and one jar of pumpkin butter - that's it!) and I had three kids melting down and bouncing off all their wares right in front of her eyes, while other customers glared at us mind you... really lady... let it go... surely you just wanted to get rid of us. That said, I am surprised that one of the other customers in line didn't whip out a wad of cash or credit card and offer to pay for us.

Back to my zen... I just love picking apples with my family... look at those sweet innocent faces...



No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin