Friday, May 8, 2009

Mary, Mary, quite contrary...

How does your garden grow?

This year I decided to grow some veggies in containers. I am not yet ready to dig up our grass and quite honestly I didn't think Steve would go for that anyhow. Ethan is very interested in things growing, so I thought it would be fun to plant things with him. Okay, yes, I had an ulterior motive: I am hoping to get him to eat vegetables again! "They" say getting children involved in gardening helps this cause. Here's the issue... momma just ain't all that good with plants. I typically have to replace my flower pots on the porch one or twice a summer. I really try though.

Here's to the "we can do it" attitude! We planted strawberries, peppers, cherry tomatoes, romaine lettuce, spinach, carrot seeds and green bean seeds (I am not too hopeful about the last two) but it was fun. (And it only looks a little Kentucky in our back yard full of pots.)
Strawberries

We also planted a few sunflower seeds and added lavender, dill, basil and rosemary to the herb garden that Ethan and I planted three years ago. Fortunately herbs are like weeds that someone discovered you could cook with... so they grow well just being left alone. Speaking of that, if anyone wants any oregano, thyme, sage or chives... we have them in abundance (these are three years in the growing). Especially the oregano and thyme. So, just come a snippin'.
The herb garden -see the oregano (left) taking over?!

As it tuns out, Ethan's favorite things about this activity were finding Sherman Wormins (Jen - you'll know what these are) and watering... and watering... and watering. Basically watering everything in our entire yard and playing with the hose.

We shall see if we get a bumper crop or a bummer crop this season.

On a side note, I think I have finally reached my peak of boring. In the last two weeks (and even right now), I have been almost overly excited to get plants; particularly at Oakland Nursery (great selection!)... I know because I have (sadly) been many places "window shopping." I also got really excited about the opening of the Westerville Farmer's Market this last Wednesday. So much so that I did a little song and dance when I realized the day of that it was the opening day. Seriously... I need help.

1 comment:

Krissy said...

I used your oregano and chives the other day in a couple recipes!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin