Monday, May 11, 2009

Captain Underpants!

As you all know, Ethan is a superhero. Lately, it's been Robin. Which is cute and all, but here's the thing folks... he sees pictures of them and he thinks they are in their underwear. It does kind of look like it. Do you see where I am going with this? Yes, Ethan insists on only wearing his underwear. Or as he calls them - his "short shorts." Really. You know how Superman has a telephone booth? Ethan has our downstairs bathroom. He goes in, takes off his pants, hides them and comes out as Robin. Why does he hide them you ask? So we can't find them and make him put them back on, according to him. "Wearing my underwear makes me the bestest Robin I can be mom."

Now, we are pretty laid back about it, but we kind have a rule that you need to wear pants when you leave the house. He doesn't see it like this. You know how you see those kids out wearing their pjs? Or a favorite princess costume? Or even a superhero costume? And you know that parent is picking their battles and letting them be themselves. I believe in nurturing that as well, but um, it's kinda socially unacceptable to wear your underwear only (even with a shirt on) outside of the house. Granted most stores and restaurants say "no shirt, no shoes, no service" without mention of pants/shorts, but I am sure they would have something to say if he came strolling in the place in his underwear - boxer briefs or tightie whities just the same. Your thoughts? With summer approaching we are nervous that negotiations will get more difficult since we can't argue that it's too cold out. And in case you are wondering or were thinking: "wait, most of the superheros wear tights." Just know, we are not going there with Ethan and none of you should either. You hear me?!

Ethan said to me a couple days ago: "Mom, I'm excessed with super heroes." (meaning obsessed I'm sure, but excessed fits too! )

It will probably also humor you to know, we actually all have superhero personas as assigned by Ethan. I am Wonder Woman, Steve is Aquaman, Collin is Superman, Oliver is Batman and Lauren is Jayna. However, you'll be relieved to know, we all keep our pants on.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, I was going to suggest the tights...at least for a restaurant. I don't know what you are going to do for the summer. I guess you will just have Ethan running down the street in his undies battling villians. ; )

Blog Widget by LinkWithin